Sunday, March 23, 2014

Direct and Indirect Speech : HISTORICAL OR HABITUAL FACTS, UNIVERSAL TRUTHS OR PROVERBS


No change is made to the Verb of the Reported Speech if it shows a historical fact, a habitual fact, a universal truth or a proverb; for example :
Direct : My brother said, "The League of Nations was formed after the World War I."           (Historical fact)
Indirect : My brother said that the League of Nations was formed after the World War I.
Direct : The student said, "January is the first month of the year."      (Universal fact)
Indirect : The student said that January is the first month of the year.
Direct : His father said, "Two and two make four."     (Proverb)
Indirect : His father said that two and two make four.
Direct : She said to me, "It snows in high mountains in the winter."    (Universal or habitual fact)
Indirect : She told me that it snows in high mountains in the winter.

5 comments: